If I’ve seen 1 picture of J-Lo looking absolutely drop dead gorgeous with the caption “Omg how is she 47??” then I’ve seen 1000. Credit where credit’s due though, the woman does look amazing. In fact, so do most of Hollywood’s elite – does time run differently there? Or are they in some sort of secret cult that promises eternal youth? Because if so, lemme in.
There is a new facial craze sweeping Hollywood though and it’s being championed by Kate Somerville, facialist to the stars (and when I say stars, I mean hotties like Jessica Alba heart eyes emoji) and it’s called dermaplaning. It’s pain free and promises instant glowing skin – yasssss slayyyy. J-Lo is rumoured to be a fan too.
I went along to Jenna Unwin SPMU (Nurse led aesthetic clinic), as she’s one of the very first in the country to be trained on this fab new treatment, to see how it works and if she could make me look half as fit as Jessica Alba…
Here’s what you need to know…
- It is deffo pain free, it’s actually quite relaxing.
- Dermaplaning is a form of manual exfoliation similar (in theory) to a microdermabrasion but without the use of suction or abrasive crystals or the controversy of breathing in the crystals into your lungs.
- A stainless steel sterile blade is stroked along the skin at an angle to gently shave off dead skin cells from the epidermis.
- Dermaplaning also temporarily removes the fine vellus hair (peach fuzz) of the face, leaving a very smooth surface. In other words, your make up goes on like an absolute DREAM.
- Your hair DOES NOT grow back stubbly or thicker.
- It’s an effective, non-invasive exfoliation treatment that allows home care products (moisturiser etc) to be more effective.
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and evens skin tone.
- Dermaplaning can be an effective treatment for clients that have coupe rose/rosacea, sensitive skin or allergies that prevent the use of chemical exfoliation.
- Pregnant women CAN have this procedure done (hallelujah, you can’t have fuck all when you’re pregnant!)
- It leaves your skin more glowing than if you’d emptied a whole jar of highlighter on there.
- Jenna is proper lovely, gives you chocolate and loves a good gossip and a laugh.
- Here’s all the dead skin and fuzz she managed to get off me in half an hour…
Did I look like Jessica Alba after my treatment? Maybe if she’d changed skin tone to ‘bit pale, could seriously do with a spray tan’ and demolished the entire contents of the Asda sweet aisle but was my skin amazing? Absolutely.
6b Hillcrest Parade, Huyton, Liverpool
Open 6 days per week, late night appointments available, by appointment ONLY.